Blog Description

Gilael Shadowsong

About Me

Wolf, eagle, possible dragon Of darkness, of shadows, of juxtaposition of peace and chaos

Wish List

= Nokia 6280 or Nokia 6233 by December*
= A new pair of rimless glasses
= 2 to 3 more pairs of jeans*
= Lucifer arc
= Sandman volumes 7-10
= Sarah Brightman or Loreena McKennitt's CDs

Places to go

My Wishlist
My fanfictions
Otherkin.net
My sketches and wallpapers
My Witches' Voice profile
Strange Maps
Squid

Archives

02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007

Tagboard


Credits

Skin by: sixseven
Powered by: blogger


Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Under-value of words

I've been noticing a steady trend as I grow up: promises and words-given which should be promises are so unvalued as to make the promises themselves non-existent.

That doesn't just come from parents; it comes also from friends, and from acquaintances. Of course, one learns very early on that the promises from most acquaintances mean little, usually: they are merely people you say "hi, bye" to on a sporadic basis. What bond further than mere pleasantries have you to them, or they to you?

Family and friends, on the other hand, because one brought us up, and the other help to make us who we are, we expect that most of what they say can be trusted, can be depended upon. Especially promises. It doesn't even have to be the huge promises, like, "I promise I'll still be your friend come old age" or something like that. Who knows what a friendship might go through to make it stronger, weaker, or torn apart, in the end?

It's the small things; it's always the small things, built up over a long period of time, to determine one's character, and how much one values his words of promises to those whom he treasures:
"I promise I won't be late;"
"I promise I'll remember to bring your stuff for you;"
"I promise I'll be there;"
"I promise I'll do my best to change my situation. I might need help from you, but I will try on my own, also."

And, most of what I've gotten from both family and friends over the years are constant lateness (sometimes up to an hour), almost-constant forgetfulness; succumbing to convenience instead of friendship; laziness.

I have to admit that I was also like that when I was younger, up to the point when I became 11 or 12. I'll say that my words and promises meant almost nothing then. I won't try to cover up for myself. I gave my word, and I broke it even more easily. It's not MY problem was what I thought back then.

Maybe it's hard keeping promises as a kid, because, hey. All we really think about are playing and having fun. Few would be mature enough at that stage to think of and act on the more important facets of our values.

I can accept that. What I cannot accept is that people who are my age, people who are years older than I am still doing that. They break their word way more easily than a child does, simply out of pure convenience to themselves.

I've changed. I don't know who knocked it into my head - Bruce, maybe...or not - but these past years have seen me holding and fulfilling almost-all the promises I've made to people. I cannot promise a 100% upholding on them: the fulfillment of promises is dependent on many factors. But I've upheld many, much more than I've broken them.

These recent years have seen me even more resolute in my refusal to make any promises I cannot or do not intend to keep. People have gotten disappointed with me at my lack of a promise, but I'll rather that way, than to dishonor both the person and myself by breaking my word simply because I cannot fulfull it.

The world is already full of false words, and empty promises. How much more are we going to add to those? How much more before we decide to do something, ourselves, instead of always preaching to others about their responsibilities and not for the preacher to see his own?


Casey blogged at 9:24 AM