Blog Description

Gilael Shadowsong

About Me

Wolf, eagle, possible dragon Of darkness, of shadows, of juxtaposition of peace and chaos

Wish List

= Nokia 6280 or Nokia 6233 by December*
= A new pair of rimless glasses
= 2 to 3 more pairs of jeans*
= Lucifer arc
= Sandman volumes 7-10
= Sarah Brightman or Loreena McKennitt's CDs

Places to go

My Wishlist
My fanfictions
Otherkin.net
My sketches and wallpapers
My Witches' Voice profile
Strange Maps
Squid

Archives

02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007

Tagboard


Credits

Skin by: sixseven
Powered by: blogger


Wednesday, August 25, 2004

"Casey Toh (I was reviewed by one of the best, that's you by the way, keep up the good work!)"

This was Kristen00's note to me (and other reviewers) in her latest chapter of her fic, "All is not lost."

Hm...interesting...

I mean, when I joined Fanfiction.net in 2000, I started out purely in the Batman fandom and remained there for about 2 years. I made quite a name for myself in that fandom, because I was considered a rather okay writer, and had written quite a few fics there.

Within those 2 years, I branched out a wee bit into the X-Men, Mortal Kombat, and the Magician fandoms. With only one/a few fics in the first two, I wasn't too well-known there; the Magician one I was definitely known, because I was one of the less-than-ten writers in that fandom at that time, and we all know one another well, except for a few newcomers and one-timers.

Then, came the Lord of the Rings fandom. It's too big for everyone to know everyone else, but we have "cliques" and all, for lack of a better word. And, within each clique lies many who are acquaintances of the clique but who read the authors' works. And within my own "clique" I'm an okay writer. Not good, but okay enough for a few established and awesome writers to place me as one of their favorite authors.

Okay...LotR for 2 years. Now...Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick fandom. I've got two completed one-shot works, and one WIP, and already, people are starting to notice my works and tell me I'm a good writer.

I guess this really pleases me--the acknowledgement, as well as the knowledge that I have improved over 7 years of writing. Valar. Now, I don't dare to even *peek* at my writings from the past. They were THAT terrible, yes. I shudder to even think of them. But it had been those truly pukeable works that had made me fall, get critisized, flamed, and stuff that had allowed me to improve, and I'm really glad for that.

Even now, I write terrible works that I don't show to anyone else. But it's those works that let me see my mistakes so that I can write good ones to post online. :)

Yay. :)


Casey blogged at 7:19 PM